Have you had fish spawn by themselves?

• I can't say I have no as much as I would love for that to be the case and for me to be able to experience that opportunity it has never arisen which is a shame. I guess in all the times I have owned and looked after fish this is one experience that I would honestly love to experience, and I hope to be able to do so one day. I feel before I do though, I would like to do some research on it so that I know when I attempt, it would be a success.

• Have you ever experienced fish spawning by themselves? I recently had this happen in my aquarium and was quite surprised! I have a small community tank with guppies, tetras, and corydoras, and one day I noticed a bunch of tiny fry swimming around. To my amazement, they were the offspring of my female guppy who had somehow managed to spawn on her own without a male present.

I did some research and found out that this is actually a relatively rare phenomenon called parthenogenesis, where the female is able to produce offspring without fertilization by a male. While it's not common in fish, it has been observed in certain species such as guppies and some types of sharks.

It's been fascinating watching these little fry grow and develop, and I'm curious if anyone else in the forum has had a similar experience with their fish. Have you ever had fish spawn on their own without the presence of a male? What species were involved, and what was your experience like? Let's share our stories and learn more about this interesting phenomenon!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!