Any ideas on ways to dim a light?

• I have a built-in LED light on the hood of my small tank and it is pretty bright. I think it can be bothersome for the shrimp as they hardly come out until it is off.

Is there some way I can safely dim it a bit? I thought of using some sort of water-proof paint or something.

• I think if you don’t want to get a new light fixture or change the specific bulbs out, you can always use something rated for the temperatures your light outputs that have a cloudy-like effect (similar to what doctor offices use on their lights on the ceiling).

Otherwise, you can try to dim the light before it hits the tank surface by applying a cloudy film over the glass lids (something similar to a thin wrap they on Amazon) to make it dimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The light itself is a small plastic strip that snaps onto the underside of the lid.

I had originally used part of a bandaid which worked for a while but the moisture made it become loose. Do they sell film that will stick better to something like this?

• I think if you don’t want to get a new light fixture or change the specific bulbs out, you can always use something rated for the temperatures your light outputs that have a cloudy-like effect (similar to what doctor offices use on their lights on the ceiling).

Otherwise, you can try to dim the light before it hits the tank surface by applying a cloudy film over the glass lids (something similar to a thin wrap they on Amazon) to make it dimmer.

What kind of cloudy film though?

• There are light tints you can use (similar to what they use for a flashlight), just make sure that whatever light fixture you have the film can stand up to it. I’d even say a plastic wrap for cooking but if you have any heat outside of LEDs, then it would melt pretty fast.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!