How much do you spend on fish?

• It seems like fish are getting more and more expensive these days. To fill a standard 30 gallon, it has to cost well over $40 at this point. In some cases more depending on what kind you buy.

A friend of mine just did a new 30-gallon tank and got 10 fish in total and it cost him nearly $60 which seems very expensive to me. Have prices gone up?

How much do you tend to spend when you stock a tank?

• It seems like fish are getting more and more expensive these days. To fill a standard 30 gallon, it has to cost well over $40 at this point. In some cases more depending on what kind you buy.

A friend of mine just did a new 30-gallon tank and got 10 fish in total and it cost him nearly $60 which seems very expensive to me. Have prices gone up?

How much do you tend to spend when you stock a tank?

True! Prices have gone up and it is indeed expensive to set up a basic aquarium with all the elements and fishes you love.

• Around the price range you stated seems pretty normal for me, but I personally prefer fish to cost a bit more as it encourages people to take their care more seriously.

This is true I suppose. The more you pay, the more inclined you are to care for them. I don't think this is the reason the prices have gone up so much though. I would guess it has to do with inflation and import fees.

• This is true I suppose. The more you pay, the more inclined you are to care for them. I don't think this is the reason the prices have gone up so much though. I would guess it has to do with inflation and import fees.

I am sure that is true, though I still used to think fish were underpriced anyway. So long as people are motivated to take care of them, I don't care if it's really just because of inflation.

• I am sure that is true, though I still used to think fish were underpriced anyway. So long as people are motivated to take care of them, I don't care if it's really just because of inflation.

For some yes, it would seem that way. I know you used to be able to get goldfish for $3-$7 but now they are $9-$16 at the local petshop so if you plan on buying a tank with just those, you will be spending a lot more!

• Those prices sound about right if I am honest, I had been taking a look myself just out of interest at how much it would cost to set up and fill a tank and at first, I did think it was a bit steep but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that if they are more expensive to get they are more likely to have been cared for pretty well before coming with me to their new home. I have in the past gone with fish that have been a lot cheaper for me to afford due to budget and I found that those fish didn't last as long as I expected, and I really feel like it was the care of them prior to getting into my care.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!