Aqueon 15 Gallon LED Column

Share with the world your tank and it's progress, ask for advice on elements of it, or even seek some inspiration from other's shared journals.
lddrizcb

Re: Aqueon 15 Gallon LED Column

Post by lddrizcb » August 9th, 2019, 1:38 am

that is pretty cool that the tank is super tall and not wide. how much did everything all together end up costing you? And for your yellow water, are you going to try to let it stay lighter or get super dark (or does it get darker than what you have in your more recent photos)? It's weird since it looks super yellow from the first two photos, but the next ones it seems almost clear, why is that?

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 10th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Overall the whole tank and stand kit was on sale for $150, I had the bag of substrate lying around from my previous 55 gallon planted tank, and the driftwood was about $20. Plants in total were probably about $15, and all the livestock in there so far is about $28 (the betta being the most expensive due to its color and fin type).

The water is almost like tea, when you look at it with a portion it looks like the dark yellow from the first set of photos. Once you get closely and look in, it appears only slightly tinted and not by much. I’m going to probably let it stay yellow since it provides a lower pH, lets the loaches come out more, and provides a way more natural habitat when compared to being not yellow at all (water in natural is not perfect clear). If it gets super dark, I’ll do a water change to make it clear up some.

Avery
Administrators

Post by Avery » August 24th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Some of the more recent changes includes me adding in two new internal filters with a spray bar (sadly the HOB was not cutting it in terms of water agitation) which both are on the lowest setting and pointing almost directly upward, and adding in about 8-10 more guppies from a different batch (to prevent or slow down inbreeding for now).

I’m awaiting for the water wisteria to grow in a ton more to have a area for fry (and the betta) to rest, for now the fry and betta rest inside or in front of the driftwood between the leaves. I think the next time I go to my local aquarium, I’ll pick up some more foreground plants since the front of the tank seems empty, and possibly another fast growing background plant to fill in the empty spots (and provide a variety).

Once everything settles in more, I’ll see how much I end up with in terms of fry who make it all of the way (from my original 8, only 4 have made it to juvenile stages with one being what appears to be a endler mixture). I may move the Betta in his own tank, and add in a small dwarf gourami or possibly not have any other fish in there as a predator.

I’ll add in the photos as an attachment to this post shortly of what it looks like now, since I have to take some photos with my phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Avery on August 25th, 2019, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the photos to this post

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » September 8th, 2019, 4:06 pm

How does the Betta handle the flow from the two new power heads/internal filters? Do the guppies handle it fine or do they get pushed around everywhere?

Looks like a some nice new filters, hopefully some plants could cover them or maybe other pieces of driftwood (if you plan to add any other small pieces).

Any idea on what your going to do with the front foreground, since it looks still undone compared to the rest of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery
Administrators

Post by Avery » September 16th, 2019, 7:05 pm

The betta did fine with the flow before I had the additional filters. I moved the Betta to a new tank (5 gallon) by itself, and have moved the guppies also to a community tank since they also were not happy after awhile.

I’ve added in 4 baby Chinese Algae Eaters into here, and plan to move them into a 120 gallon tank I’m hoping to have setup in about 8-ish months from now.

I’m still thinking on what to do with the front (and honestly, the back since it just has roots). I may buy a small piece of driftwood for the back and then add additional plants/rocks to the front to add a nice look, but I may just keep it driftwood in the front and get smaller plants for the front to take up that substrate space (more Anubias, Java Ferna possibly, Moss, etc.). For the time being, I just recently moved the driftwood piece closer to the front of the tank, and I'll be taking a look at my local store(s) to get some ideas on whether a set of small pieces would make sense, or if adding in some type of lace rock would make better sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Avery on September 17th, 2019, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added in additional photos to show the new fish and plant growth

Avery
Administrators

Post by Avery » October 21st, 2019, 1:24 pm

I just recently added in some Malaysian Trumpet Snails since I was getting some algae growth that my Chinese Algae Eaters were not eating, and also my friend had some Zebra Danios fry from his breeding project that he no longer wanted so I ended up with some small fry (5 to be exact).

I did some trimming with the Water Wisteria in the background, fixed a few of the Anubias leaves that were dying off, and moved one from the background to the foreground.

So far not much else has changed, but I’ll be curious to see how thick I can get the Water Wisteria and how the Chinese Algae Eaters like it (since they tend to prefer the darker water before I do a good chunk of water changes to make it clear up). I’ll keep you all posted in the next update or if anything else changes!