What is your aquarium backup plan for natural events?

General discussion of freshwater aquariums that are not related to any of the forums below.
Avery
Administrators

What is your aquarium backup plan for natural events?

Post by Avery » August 30th, 2019, 12:23 pm

With the hurricane that is about to hit Florida looming over, what do you all do in these instances? Do you keep your fish where they are and have some sort of generator/backup system to keep things running, do you take them with you and just do large water changes in the temporary tanks that they are in, or do you do something else completely?

v_danger_v

Post by v_danger_v » September 20th, 2019, 12:47 am

Battery powered air pumps, or even using those UPS systems for a computer to power some of the more important things (filters only). I think you can get one from Sam’s Club for like $150 that lasts over a week if it is powering something with a small power draw (>5 watts).

If I have to leave the state, getting those plastic tubs you put Christmas lights in works for fish to bring them along. I just make sure to not feed them 24 hours or more before putting them in there, otherwise the stress makes them poop and causes for a nasty ammonia spike that no one wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk