What do you do with all of your excess fish fry?

Want to know what species that fish is, or the best care for your given community? Providing the best care for your fish can result in them looking absolutely stunning with vivid colors, and being able to observe their natural behavior.
Avery
Administrators

What do you do with all of your excess fish fry?

Post by Avery » August 7th, 2019, 1:15 am

Fish can breed either by setting up the right conditions on purpose, or in the case of the many livebearers such as Guppies, Mollies, Platies, and Swordtails, they will just bred on their own leaving you a tank full of fry every other month. A lot of the time the adults (or other fish in the same aquarium) will eat the fry thinking they are food, some fry do manage to hide long enough to grow and not be of a threat by bigger fish. Over time, your populate of fish can go from only a handful to having fish all over the aquarium and leading to overstocking rapidly.

In those cases, do you normally sell the fry you have, keep them, or try to buy predator fish to eat all of the fry and hunt them out throughout the day and night? If you do any of these, what fry do you normally see appearing in your aquarium and do you intentionally breed the fish or do you just let it happen by chance?

lddrizcb

Post by lddrizcb » August 9th, 2019, 1:45 am

I'm hoping that if people agree that guppies can be with danios, or well guppies can be with any other type of fish, that I'll have tons of babies. I think I'll try to take care of them and see what happens. maybe I can make the next best color by breeding them! :D

v_danger_v

Post by v_danger_v » September 29th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Use them sadly as feeders to other fish, or I’ll let them be and wait to see if they get eaten in other tanks that I put them in. If there is only one tank, I’d just try to give them away for free if possible at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk