This is just a quick outline on some of the various things that we have added, changed, updated, or removed. Depending on the frequency of details that we have ironed out, this may be posted on a regular schedule, or can be more defined once we have a lot of things to discuss and share with you all. If you have any suggestions or feedback on what you want to see, don't want to see, or just how you feel about the experience here, please let us know!
Aquariu.ms Changes Overview
These are details that are visible to Guests, Registered Users, and others who actively use Aquariu.ms.
- We have added in the header navigation for our new chatroom system. This feature allows for real-time communication with other members who might have a quick question, share something that is faster than creating a topic, or be able to search through what others talked about to find something important to them. Gust ca only see the Lobby chatroom, while Registered Users and others can join other rooms, create private rooms between members, and be able to access the system fully.
- Additional checks are now added to when an account is registered in order to prevent any spambots from sneaking through (you should not notice any changes to the current process). We have prevented over 100+ spambots from being able to registered, post advertisements, and other types of spam since this was first implemented around the first of September.
- As promised in last month, we have launched the method that you can delete your account and any PII data that exists from our database whenever you wish to do so. Please note, that this process is not reversible and doing so will not allow for us to be able to gather such data if you request it for GDPR compliance laws. This feature is now inside of your User Control Panel, under the tab "Delete My Account" if you wish to use so.
These are back the scene changes that may not be reflected when visiting, although can improve access/speed/security overall.
- We have updated some of the TTL (Time To Live) cache settings to allow for the first page load on a device/browser to render everything needed, and additional loads/visits will be sped up dramatically.
- We have updated the phpBB version that we are using to their latest release, along with updating some of the extensions that our community is using as well.
- Improvements were made to SEO in terms of what is shown to web crawlers/bots, so that this may allow for others to find us more easily. Plus, when you share a given post/topic online, there is an extremely high chance that it will grab the image from that specific share and display it (for those websites that support this feature).
These are ideas and plans that we are actively trying to materialize, although some of these may change from what is noted below, or some may not appear in the next round of updates depending on size of work/effort that is needed.
- Complete out the required work for the category aspect for Articles & Profiles, which will enable easier searching by using the sub-navigation (ex; "Profiles > Freshwater > Diseases" would return only freshwater diseases, whereas now it returns everything with no active way to filter).
- Fixing some bugs regarding "Who Is Online" & "Searching" where the page may load as blank, or only show a maximum of 10 results when there is far more.
- Adding a centralized place for people to share images in albums (Gallery). We have looked at a few different ones available, and they seem to have features/design elements that don't make much sense. We're looking into modifying them out just for our community so it will appear more streamlined when one visits/views.
- Finalizing our official logo and banners to use for social media. We have some great mockups, but want to have something more in stone before we share them!
- 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) is something that we plan on adding before the end of the year. At first, this will be required for all Moderators and Administrators with an optional requirement for Registered Users. We plan on adding support for various methods to verify that it is indeed you logging in.
- Logging in with a social media account instead of having to register an account by using your email address. We plan on adding in various social media networks, along with adding in details on how to proceed through this process correctly (since you won't technically register an account as it would be tied back to the social media network you first signed in as).