Do you keep any turtles?

They can be on both land and water while making excellent aspects to any species only or community aquarium.
v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Do you keep any turtles?

Post by v_danger_v » May 8th, 2020, 2:25 pm

With me recently going to a few different stores, it seems like a vast majority of the fish are either all sold out or not in stock until this whole thing is going away. I still do see some turtles in the tanks, and it makes me wonder - how many of you have turtles and what is their care? I saw it’s noted that they live for up to 30 years on these labels, but seems like the biggest tanks/kits for these are 40 gallon breeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 22

Post by Avery » May 13th, 2020, 1:59 am

Speaking of which, I just recently setup and purchased an African Sideneck Turtle (which is my first turtle tank) that I've had running and with for about a month now. I think that turtles are pretty underrated, but that might mostly be due to the heavy level of care that they require (specific diets, they need their tank cleaned at least once every 3-4 days due to the HEAVY bio-load and huge amount of waste that they produce). I don't think that many plan ahead with their tank sizing either, which results in a small turtle growing a few inches every year and then needing anywhere from 90-150 gallon tank once they reach their full adult size.

Overall, I love this little one and I'll have to show you all in a new tank journal on how I setup it's habitat, including the specific hardware (UVB & UVA bulbs, heating bulb, dry dock area and other aspects) once I get to a nice place on how the tank will be for awhile.