Do you prefer community style tanks or species only?

General discussion of freshwater aquariums that are not related to any of the forums below.

Do you prefer community tanks or species only?

Community
100%
Species Only
No votes

Total votes: 3

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Do you prefer community style tanks or species only?

Post by Avery » July 4th, 2019, 1:25 am

Sometimes having a community tank can look amazing, since you will have tons of different sized and looking fish swimming around at all different levels of the aquarium. Although, with some species, just having a species only tank can bring out their natural behavior out to view. Which do you prefer and why? Have you tried both options, or just one?

When it comes to this choice, it all depends on the aquarium size and the fish that I plan to keep on the inside. Community tanks tend to be great when you have either a smaller tank, or a very large one. Likewise, in that middle spot, I find that species only tanks can be beautiful. For prime example, I had a 75 gallon with about 9-10 Auratus cichlids that not only would breed on and off, but also showed their calm and slightly aggressive nature. It always was exciting when you could watch a female (or so you thought at the time) slowly change from yellow with blue/white stripes change completely around and go almost jet black (or a very, very dark blue) with white stripes along the body.

Juneberry

Post by Juneberry » July 26th, 2019, 10:31 am

When I was young, the aquarium at my home was a community tank- we had all sorts of fish, and I'd just spend an hour or two watching them sometimes. I think it really is mostly about the size and safety of the kind of fish you put together. Species tanks that I see when I'm out are also nice- but there's something about the vibrant differences in fish that make me prefer to stare into a communal tank more.

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » August 7th, 2019, 3:43 pm

I think that sometimes having either can look best. If you have a smaller tank, a species only tank looks great. If you have a big tank, a ton of community fish add variety, but if you have just a few big fish, then species only can bring out their personality a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lddrizcb

Post by lddrizcb » August 9th, 2019, 1:34 am

community tanks 100%. It's nice when you look inside and can see a ton of different fish swimming all over and not just have the same colors and fish swimming or hiding about.

Elle1612

Post by Elle1612 » August 13th, 2019, 12:39 am

community with a ton of fish that are lik a similar color can make a tank look super cool, and not have the same look as just having fish which all look exactly the same.