Are feeder fish good fish in general?

Want to know what species that fish is, or the best care for your given community? Providing the best care for your fish can result in them looking absolutely stunning with vivid colors, and being able to observe their natural behavior.
oscard316

Are feeder fish good fish in general?

Post by oscard316 » August 23rd, 2019, 4:25 pm

Have any of you kept any types of feeder fish before, whether that was the very common comet goldfish (known by many shops as a feeder fish), or the minnows that they have? Have you had any luck keeping them? A lot of them in some of my big box chains seem to be extremely thin, not really taken care of, and probably infected with god knows what.
by v_danger_v » September 20th, 2019, 12:53 am
I’ve found that some of the feeder fish in some of my stores and either minnows or they can even be some overly bred livebearers that no one wants (when you have a store full of them and people don’t know they have fry so rapidly, they kind of accept them as is). With good care, and making sure that you make sure you dose them with a generic medicine - I don’t see why they wouldn’t make a good fish for an average sized tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 25th, 2019, 10:21 pm

I’ve kept the rosy/fathead minnows (normally those super skinny fish that are yellow or clear), and had good luck with them. Once they are fed a good diet, and have the water parameters they need, they really perk up and color up nicely. I think that feeder fish can be great, you just have to make sure you can avoid the ones with parasites or any other type of disease/infection, or do a general cure for everything once you quarantine them off.

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » September 20th, 2019, 12:53 am

I’ve found that some of the feeder fish in some of my stores and either minnows or they can even be some overly bred livebearers that no one wants (when you have a store full of them and people don’t know they have fry so rapidly, they kind of accept them as is). With good care, and making sure that you make sure you dose them with a generic medicine - I don’t see why they wouldn’t make a good fish for an average sized tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk