What is one fish that you wish you would have avoided from the start?

Want to know what species that fish is, or the best care for your given community? Providing the best care for your fish can result in them looking absolutely stunning with vivid colors, and being able to observe their natural behavior.
Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

What is one fish that you wish you would have avoided from the start?

Post by Avery » August 28th, 2019, 1:40 pm

With all of the information online, maybe check and plan their tank stocking out before they get the fish at their local store. Although, that sometimes may not be the case when new fish are at the store, or there are bigger options than you thought. What doesn’t help, in a majority of cases, is when the information at the store doesn’t align with the true nature of the fish you are about to buy. What fish have you bought before, that you would recommend to avoid at all costs based on your experiences?

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » September 8th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Algae Eaters (specifically those Golden ones or the ones sold without saying their full name - Chinese Algae Eaters). I ironically thought they would stay pretty small, or at least grow up to their full size in years. But after having two in a tank, they grew almost 4 inches the first year, and started to go after all of my other fish (they didn’t seem to eat that much algae as they were called). I had to later bring them back, but I would never get them ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » September 17th, 2019, 4:35 pm

v_danger_v wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:10 pm
Algae Eaters (specifically those Golden ones or the ones sold without saying their full name - Chinese Algae Eaters). I ironically thought they would stay pretty small, or at least grow up to their full size in years. But after having two in a tank, they grew almost 4 inches the first year, and started to go after all of my other fish (they didn’t seem to eat that much algae as they were called). I had to later bring them back, but I would never get them ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like they get a bad reputation since everyone thinks that they eat algae (because the shops call them only algae eaters) and when they see them as a small juvenile (only a few inches long), people think that is as big as they will get. Honestly, when they are fed a diet with meat and with other plant matter, they leave other fish alone and are pretty interesting fish. Just have to have them in a 55 gallon or big as an adult due to their full length, but they are pretty cool fish.