What is your aquarium backup plan for natural events?

General discussion of freshwater aquariums that are not related to any of the forums below.
Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

What is your aquarium backup plan for natural events?

Post by Avery » August 30th, 2019, 12:23 pm

With the hurricane that is about to hit Florida looming over, what do you all do in these instances? Do you keep your fish where they are and have some sort of generator/backup system to keep things running, do you take them with you and just do large water changes in the temporary tanks that they are in, or do you do something else completely?

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » September 20th, 2019, 12:47 am

Battery powered air pumps, or even using those UPS systems for a computer to power some of the more important things (filters only). I think you can get one from Sam’s Club for like $150 that lasts over a week if it is powering something with a small power draw (>5 watts).

If I have to leave the state, getting those plastic tubs you put Christmas lights in works for fish to bring them along. I just make sure to not feed them 24 hours or more before putting them in there, otherwise the stress makes them poop and causes for a nasty ammonia spike that no one wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plainers

Post by Plainers » October 22nd, 2019, 7:56 am

Is there a battery-powered air pump brand that you can suggest? Or are they more or less all the same?

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » October 22nd, 2019, 1:43 pm

Plainers wrote:Is there a battery-powered air pump brand that you can suggest? Or are they more or less all the same?
I honestly think that they are all of the same (someone please correct me if I’m wrong), I would avoid those that are solar powered since a vast majority are cheap/junk and don’t output enough power when directly in the sun.

Most people stick to name brands, but you may have good luck with off brand but I don’t know the good off brands and bad ones when it comes to battery powered air pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » October 27th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Looks like with the rise in natural events occurring, and with power companies shutting off power for lengthy times (specifically, the California PG&E due to high winds), I almost feel like the suggestion of buying a UPS unit that is used for computers to run things like filters would be ideal. If you get a decent sized one (assuming you’d need to spend probably $150-300), I’m sure without using lights (unless you have LEDs or have bulbs and can measure the kilowatt usage) it would last easily a week or more.

Plus you could just drop this in as a full replacement for a power surge strip, and hide it underneath the tank stand or hidden somewhere.

Battery powered works, but if the power isn’t really back in 24 hours, you basically are restarting the whole nitrogen cycle due to the beneficial bacteria being fully starved with no fresh water coming in. Plus, I’m not too sure that there are any types of battery powered filters that are out there to seed and use in the meantime (along with a battery operated air pump depending on your filters and tank size/usage).