How many use mollies are their first brackish or saltwater fish?

Need any help to identify a species, learn if they can share an aquarium, or figure out what will bring out the best in them with proper care? Let's turn those questions into community backed answers.
v_danger_v
Answers: 3

How many use mollies are their first brackish or saltwater fish?

Post by v_danger_v » October 8th, 2019, 12:16 am

Since mollies are probably the cheapest fish around, many forget that you can put them from full freshwater to brackish, and then to full saltwater. Has anyone used them as the “cycling” fish that others species are known for, or has anyone used them for learning how to do brackish/saltwater tanks without diving in with pure saltwater/brackish fish only?

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » October 12th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I've used them for a brackish tank, although I haven't fully used them in a saltwater tank in order to get things going faster. It's kind of cool how such a common freshwater fish that is sold in probably every aquarium store/shop, can be put through all 3 different types of water types over time and have no issues what-so-ever.

I'd be curious on those who use them for fish-in cycling (or to really just get used to saltwater tanks and care), since they would be the ideal fish for doing such things.