Did you ever have an outbreak of brown diatoms in any of your newly setup aquariums?

Looking for a way to get rid of that algae, identify it, or figure out what would eat it off? We'll get you back on the right track to removing the cause of those excess nutrients.
Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Did you ever have an outbreak of brown diatoms in any of your newly setup aquariums?

Post by Avery » July 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

The most common type of algae in a newly setup aquarium, hands down, has to be the infamous brown diatoms. When you first setup your aquarium, did you ever have a bad break out of this brown algae? If not, what did you do so differently to prevent this?

I never really experienced this outbreak due to my first few tanks being heavily planted (and thus taking any excess nutrients in the water column and using it as food for the plants). A few other tanks I setup that weren't using real plants never had such outbreaks due to them either not having a good lighting period (used a dim LED light, didn't have the lights on for an excess period, etc.) or due to me making sure that I never overfed any of my fish or shrimp (and therefore the tank not having any excess waste in to feed the algae with).

The only time that I had a horrible outbreak of brown diatoms, is when I was breeding African Dwarf Frogs in a 20 gallon long aquarium. I'm not sure if it was due this also being the first time that I had used Fluorite as a substrate (the tank was mildly planted), or if it was due to the waste that African Dwarf Frogs produce when they can't find food directly in front of them (used to put it on a plate in the tank), or when they shed their skin. The tadpoles used to love eating some of the brown diatoms that would stick to the floating aquarium plants I had, although I had to have a small cleanup crew of snails to make sure that it never got out of hand (once I cleaned the aquarium out from the outbreak I got and added way more plants).

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » July 6th, 2019, 6:20 pm

I remember with my first tank, I had a horrible brown and green algae break out. I think it was due to A) my lack of experience and probably being slight overstocked, and B) me having my first tank on the living room near a window so it would get some slight direct sunlight here and there.

Ever since then though, I haven’t had a horrible outbreak where the glass and decorations are all coated in algae, but I have had a few decorations get brown/green algae on them in some spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk