Are all corals as demanding as they seem?

Viewing a miniature coral reef within your hands can be amazing, but making sure that they are cared for is vital for them thrive and propagate.
v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Are all corals as demanding as they seem?

Post by v_danger_v » July 5th, 2019, 2:47 am

I was recently looking into getting some corals (if course excluding hard and a majority of soft corals), and wasn’t quiet sure if they are still super demanding or not. This would be in terms of both lighting and also of extra feeding compared to just feeding more than what the fish and invertebrates eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Avery » July 8th, 2019, 1:08 am
It more so depends on the lighting fixture you have, water quality (how much food is left over after the fish eat what they can), and lastly the depth of your aquarium (as the light may be strong at the surface, but gets lower and lower with it's intensity the deeper the tank is).

Those that are classified as being beginner friendly are considered the following (in no specific order); Mushrooms (Bullseye Rhodactis, Green Fluorescent, Green Toadstool ), Leathers (Toadstool Mushroom, Cabbage), Polyps (Glove, Green/Orange), and lastly Colts (Cauliflower).
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » July 5th, 2019, 5:05 pm

There are some that aren’t as a demanding as others, some just need good lighting (as any corals require) and no extra feedings are others need. However, there are plenty that do require extra feedings directly to the coral, some that require even more specific lights, or some that require more precise water conditions than others.

I wouldn’t think that all are super demanding since some aren’t, but it just depends on what your tank is setup with and if you may need to upgrade lights or not.

v_danger_v

Post by v_danger_v » July 7th, 2019, 2:05 am

Thank you! Do you know the names of those that are the easiest to take care of by chance?

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » July 8th, 2019, 1:08 am

It more so depends on the lighting fixture you have, water quality (how much food is left over after the fish eat what they can), and lastly the depth of your aquarium (as the light may be strong at the surface, but gets lower and lower with it's intensity the deeper the tank is).

Those that are classified as being beginner friendly are considered the following (in no specific order); Mushrooms (Bullseye Rhodactis, Green Fluorescent, Green Toadstool ), Leathers (Toadstool Mushroom, Cabbage), Polyps (Glove, Green/Orange), and lastly Colts (Cauliflower).

v_danger_v

Post by v_danger_v » July 9th, 2019, 12:18 am

I’ll have to look into those when I’m ready to get some corals. Thank you so much!