Those fish just - keep dying!

Having any fauna that is sick, ill, or doesn't look too well can bring down others and the look of ay
aquarium. We'll make sure that you have the healthiest livestock no matter what.
Jellyfish

Those fish just - keep dying!

Post by Jellyfish » July 26th, 2019, 7:37 pm

When I was a kid, my hopes weren't up too much, cause it just seems like the fish would die too soon. I mean, it was a lot sooner than dogs or cats! Anyway, what is causing it? Is it bad water? Is it diseased water? Is it the wrong temperature?

Lammchen

Post by Lammchen » July 27th, 2019, 8:35 am

How long did you leave them in their bags (placed in the tank) to adapt to the water temp of the tank? Was the shop where you purchased them a reputable one? Some have a guarantee if they die with a day or so and you could get another one. If they're dying in the first month then it might be your tank?

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » July 29th, 2019, 1:30 am

It could be a ton of different things sadly. Like Lammchen notes, it could be from not fully acclimating the fish from the store water to your water, not having a full nitrogen cycle setup, possibly even having an aquarium decoration that wasn’t made for being in an aquarium (has metal, etc.) or if it was an older one, leaking toxic paint into the water column.

Did you ever have your water tested either by an aquarium store after they died, or did you test it yourself? If not, that may be the first thing I would do next time to verify that the ammonia/nitrite levels are not detected (and if so, then start the nitrogen cycle process with the fish-in method).