How much food?

Lammchen

How much food?

Post by Lammchen » July 27th, 2019, 8:19 am

What's the basic guideline for feeding freshwater fish? Does size make a difference?

When my husband was a teenager he had a little tank and the store told him to feed the fish one flake a day. So the fish all starved to death and he couldn't understand what he did wrong. He also is very black and white in thinking so that's all the fish got was one little flake a day! :o
by v_danger_v » August 1st, 2019, 1:36 am
I would say to fed them once a day for 6 days out of the week. Only fed them what they can eat within a minute (try to under feed, and if they eat it super quickly, fed a tad more). Some fish will keep eating until they can’t anymore (extreme bloat), so it’s always easier to keep under feeding until you notice when they don’t eat as fast. Plus skipping a day allows for if you do overfed, for their bodies to take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go to full post

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » August 1st, 2019, 1:36 am

I would say to fed them once a day for 6 days out of the week. Only fed them what they can eat within a minute (try to under feed, and if they eat it super quickly, fed a tad more). Some fish will keep eating until they can’t anymore (extreme bloat), so it’s always easier to keep under feeding until you notice when they don’t eat as fast. Plus skipping a day allows for if you do overfed, for their bodies to take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 2nd, 2019, 2:56 am

I would agree with v_danger_v here. It's best to feed bits here and there until you notice that they aren't eating as much as when you first added it in for the day. Skipping one day out of the week is also extremely beneficial, since you will still see the fish poop during this skipped day where their stomach and digestive system is catching up for any excess feedings. Always remember that in the wild, fish are not fed every single day, and they can go a week or more (excluding out fry, sensitive fish, etc.) without eating as long as they are fed a nutrient rich diet.