What to look for when shopping?

General discussion of freshwater aquariums that are not related to any of the forums below.
Lammchen

What to look for when shopping?

Post by Lammchen » July 27th, 2019, 8:21 am

What do you look for when you go shopping for new fish? Do you judge the store on cleanliness? Do you keep track of how many floaters the place might have?

I used to go to a lot of fish stores with my dad and his friends and all I looked for was the pop machine so I could get a Dr. Pepper :lol:

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I kind of inspect not only the fish that I am looking at getting, but also checking the other tanks that are above, beyond, and around it (many aquarium stores tend to have a centralized pump, filtration unit, an UV sterilizer). If you do see any of the fish dead, with Ich, or any other type of oddness/disease (sunky belly, popeye, acting extremely odd), then I would either try to find the best looking fish you want and put them into a quarantine tank for a few weeks. If you see things like algae, I won't mind too much as long as it's not blocking your view, etc. Many tanks do left some green algae grow on the substrate/decorations so fish can eat it or, if they have any fry while in the tanks which is common for livebearers, that the fry can consume it until they can get big enough to be able to eat the flake food they feed the rest.

Otherwise, if they have individual filters on each tank, and everything looks good, I'd still recommend placing them in a quarantine tank for a week at least.