“Common words” when using search?

Want to know how to use your profile, or do something specific on the website? We'll show you how step by step.
v_danger_v
Answers: 3

“Common words” when using search?

Post by v_danger_v » August 1st, 2019, 1:38 am

I was just tying to do a quick search for the words “Nitrogen Cycle” to grab a link for my friend, but it keeps saying that this is a common word and I have to be more specific. Is there any reason for this? I don’t see that as a common word per what it spits back (words have to be more than 3 letters long, etc.).

I found the link using the navigation, and into articles, but not sure if the search feature is busted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Avery » August 1st, 2019, 1:44 am
I've discovered the issue, where the search database was returning if any of the words you searched were contained in 15% of the total website's result set, that it would mark it as common. I've changed the criteria on this to a different value, and then it'll revert back once we have enough unique content such that the common words won't include common words to the aquarium hobby (and instead actual common words in general terms). In doing this, the search should return a tad faster now since it has to search through less words that it marks on each run as common.

Thank you for spotting this though, since I'm sure if anyone else used the search function and it kept saying that everything they were mostly searching for was a common word, they would have given up.
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 1st, 2019, 1:44 am

I've discovered the issue, where the search database was returning if any of the words you searched were contained in 15% of the total website's result set, that it would mark it as common. I've changed the criteria on this to a different value, and then it'll revert back once we have enough unique content such that the common words won't include common words to the aquarium hobby (and instead actual common words in general terms). In doing this, the search should return a tad faster now since it has to search through less words that it marks on each run as common.

Thank you for spotting this though, since I'm sure if anyone else used the search function and it kept saying that everything they were mostly searching for was a common word, they would have given up.