Are saltwater hermit crabs easy to take care of?

With their attention to detail you'll see them cleaning the tank, or providing a nice contrast to fish swimming around throughout the aquarium.
v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Are saltwater hermit crabs easy to take care of?

Post by v_danger_v » August 7th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I’ve been looking at my local Petco’s saltwater stocking, and just found some hermit crabs for sale. Are these very demanding, or can they be used to get used to saltwater tanks for a beginner like I am?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Avery » August 10th, 2019, 2:54 pm
I’d say that they are pretty straight forward to take care of overall. As for being for a full beginner, I believe that they can work out as long as you try them in a larger tank to avoid wide fluctuations with the water itself. They require that the tank is fully cycled, has a sand substrate, and has a large variety of different shells for them to swap in and out of as they age.

They normally take a wide variety of different food, and tend to be in a numbered group rather than alone. You just have to make sure to handle them under water at all times, and to make sure that the gravity and water temperature stays the same otherwise they tend to get sick easily.
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 10th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I’d say that they are pretty straight forward to take care of overall. As for being for a full beginner, I believe that they can work out as long as you try them in a larger tank to avoid wide fluctuations with the water itself. They require that the tank is fully cycled, has a sand substrate, and has a large variety of different shells for them to swap in and out of as they age.

They normally take a wide variety of different food, and tend to be in a numbered group rather than alone. You just have to make sure to handle them under water at all times, and to make sure that the gravity and water temperature stays the same otherwise they tend to get sick easily.