Can I keep a goldfish with other fish

Want to know what species that fish is, or the best care for your given community? Providing the best care for your fish can result in them looking absolutely stunning with vivid colors, and being able to observe their natural behavior.
Elle1612

Can I keep a goldfish with other fish

Post by Elle1612 » August 13th, 2019, 12:15 am

I see a ton of people who have goldfish with their other fish and have no idea how they keep them from eating them. is this possible and how can I make sure that the goldfish doesn't eat the others?
by Avery » August 14th, 2019, 12:41 am
I would avoid keeping a cold water fish (goldfish, koi, white cloud minnows) with tropical fish due to their wide variety of care, diets, and temperature. Sure, the cold water fish can survive in warmer water than they like, however that increases their metabolism which in turn makes them go through their lifespan much faster. Instead of having a goldfish that could live 30-40 years, you may only get 15 years due to the increase in temperature throughout their whole life.

The same applies the other way, you could keep some tropical fish in colder water, but that will slow their metabolism down and may cause them not to eat (which results in them being lethargic and possible death).
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 14th, 2019, 12:41 am

I would avoid keeping a cold water fish (goldfish, koi, white cloud minnows) with tropical fish due to their wide variety of care, diets, and temperature. Sure, the cold water fish can survive in warmer water than they like, however that increases their metabolism which in turn makes them go through their lifespan much faster. Instead of having a goldfish that could live 30-40 years, you may only get 15 years due to the increase in temperature throughout their whole life.

The same applies the other way, you could keep some tropical fish in colder water, but that will slow their metabolism down and may cause them not to eat (which results in them being lethargic and possible death).