Why is salt always a cure or prevention method for diseases?

Having any fauna that is sick, ill, or doesn't look too well can bring down others and the look of ay
aquarium. We'll make sure that you have the healthiest livestock no matter what.
oscard316

Why is salt always a cure or prevention method for diseases?

Post by oscard316 » August 23rd, 2019, 3:28 pm

I keep hearing on different groups and everything else that salt can cure it all, or that salt is extremely useful when added with other medicine. Why does it seem like everyone adds salt when their fish are sick to their tanks, or why do they even add salt to their FRESHwater tanks when these fish aren't even used to any salt to start with?
by Avery » August 24th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Many recommend that you add salt when fish are sick, as it forces for freshwater fish to create a thicker slime coat (which coats them naturally to prevent them from getting infections, or diseases when others are sick). However, over time it can damage freshwater fish livers as they cannot process the salt that is within the water column.

It is a cure for a very few specific set of diseases, but should not normally be added to a freshwater tank. Salt also negative affects live plants in the tank (some are used to a small % of salt to water, otherwise will wilt away with any level of salt), and it can prove to be fatal to some fish who require very specific parameters.

I believe that in the older days of aquarium care (before people even recommends canister or hang in the back filters, and used undergravel filters), salt was recommended as a generic cure all. This proved to be the case in other countries where the cost of any fish medicine is too high, resulting in salt being common used to treat for diseases where it does not do anything.
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 24th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Many recommend that you add salt when fish are sick, as it forces for freshwater fish to create a thicker slime coat (which coats them naturally to prevent them from getting infections, or diseases when others are sick). However, over time it can damage freshwater fish livers as they cannot process the salt that is within the water column.

It is a cure for a very few specific set of diseases, but should not normally be added to a freshwater tank. Salt also negative affects live plants in the tank (some are used to a small % of salt to water, otherwise will wilt away with any level of salt), and it can prove to be fatal to some fish who require very specific parameters.

I believe that in the older days of aquarium care (before people even recommends canister or hang in the back filters, and used undergravel filters), salt was recommended as a generic cure all. This proved to be the case in other countries where the cost of any fish medicine is too high, resulting in salt being common used to treat for diseases where it does not do anything.

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » September 8th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Thank you for explaining this. I feel like every group I’m in just says to use salt and it never made sense (since there are freshwater fish and can’t really handle salt). Others say they use salt with their plants, but I could never really understand why either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk