What is this algae growing on my plants?

Looking for a way to get rid of that algae, identify it, or figure out what would eat it off? We'll get you back on the right track to removing the cause of those excess nutrients.
oscard316

What is this algae growing on my plants?

Post by oscard316 » August 23rd, 2019, 4:19 pm

What type of algae is this growing on my plants? It used to be all over my glass until I recently cleaned it and got a few algae fish to eat it all off.
by Avery » August 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm
That appears to be brown diatoms (which over time can look like clumps of brown algae), which is highly common in newly setup tanks (as there is a excess of a few different parameters from the water itself), or can make its presence in established tanks that have an excess of silicates or nitrates in the water. If you add in any fertilizers, use root tabs for plants, or use any specific plant substrate, this is normally packed full of silicates and nitrates as they are micro and macro nutrients required by all plants.

An easy cure would be to figure out where this source is coming from, add more plants (which will consume the nitrates and silicates faster), do more frequently water changes, or temporarily reduce the hours of light that your tank has until it clears up. Since you have a planted tank, maybe look into getting some snails (which can prove beneficial to planted tanks by turning around substrate to prevent gas buildups) such as Malaysian Trumpet Snails, some shrimp (to eat the algae off the plant leaves), or some type of algae eating fish (that will keep the glass clear and the plant leaves clear). Otherwise, you can always keep cleaning it yourself until it clears up in its own.
Go to full post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » August 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm

That appears to be brown diatoms (which over time can look like clumps of brown algae), which is highly common in newly setup tanks (as there is a excess of a few different parameters from the water itself), or can make its presence in established tanks that have an excess of silicates or nitrates in the water. If you add in any fertilizers, use root tabs for plants, or use any specific plant substrate, this is normally packed full of silicates and nitrates as they are micro and macro nutrients required by all plants.

An easy cure would be to figure out where this source is coming from, add more plants (which will consume the nitrates and silicates faster), do more frequently water changes, or temporarily reduce the hours of light that your tank has until it clears up. Since you have a planted tank, maybe look into getting some snails (which can prove beneficial to planted tanks by turning around substrate to prevent gas buildups) such as Malaysian Trumpet Snails, some shrimp (to eat the algae off the plant leaves), or some type of algae eating fish (that will keep the glass clear and the plant leaves clear). Otherwise, you can always keep cleaning it yourself until it clears up in its own.