Posts by Shortie

White vinegar is definitely the one to go for when it comes to getting stains off a glass tank. It gets the stains off and it helps to keep the glass smear free which can be a pain when you use any other cleaning product. You also have to be careful what products you use as some cleaning products can be harmful to use on a glass tank that you are going to use for fish. I usually use a plain cloth that I have specifically for the tank that doesn't get used for anything else but that.

It really varies on the fish and the kind of fish you have. I would feed them and see how they react after being fed. Some fish only need feeding maybe once a day and others maybe only once every few days. If you keep an eye on your fish, you will be able to tell when it may be time to feed them and get into a routine of feeding them at that time.

I always used to feed mine in a morning not long after I got up and then on an evening before I went to bed and that always seemed to work. It's amazing to see how they soon adapt to that routine and will expect the feed at those times as well. I always find that you can always tell yourself when is best to feed your fish and you should always go by what you feel is right. For some fish little could be more and they could be fine with that.

No, I can't say that I source all my food from the same company. In most cases some companies do offers on food which can really be a help at times and some of the deals they do are always great, so I never really want to miss out on that. I have found that there are around 3 different companies that I use myself that I have no issue with and that I have used quite regularly. I feel that if you can find at least a few companies that are good with their products and also do good service and good deals it's wise to have that.

Are you looking to only feed them live food or are you looking to do a mixture? It is recommended to feed your fish in a saltwater tank at least twice a day, but I feel if you may be doing a mix of live and processed it may be wise to lessen how much you feed them per day. Without knowing what you are going to be feeding them and if it's going to be a mix or not it really is difficult to give you an accurate answer as to how much and how often.

Clownfish are the most recommended that I see when it comes to people asking for advice on what to start out with when they start a saltwater tank. Clownfish are very easy to take care of which is perfect for a beginner, and they only need a 20-gallon tank as well so it's great for a start out before you build yourself up. They are also quite peaceful fish as well so if you are looking for something like that, Clownfish are perfect!

I tend to feed them about once a day, twice if needed but never any more than that. I usually feed them not long after I get up in a morning after I have made a drink and somewhat woken up myself and then I will feed them just before I head to bed and that seems to be enough for them. I found that if I feed them anymore than that, I end up with the tank getting murky really quick and it was causing an issue so I must have been over feeding.

I can't say I have no as much as I would love for that to be the case and for me to be able to experience that opportunity it has never arisen which is a shame. I guess in all the times I have owned and looked after fish this is one experience that I would honestly love to experience, and I hope to be able to do so one day. I feel before I do though, I would like to do some research on it so that I know when I attempt, it would be a success.

Yes, it wasn't too often but there were times when I had my tank that I would be moving things or sorting things out in the tank and the fish would get a little scared and would bite. It was never anything that caused any serious harm if I am honest, but it did give me that shock when it happened. I just found that taking it a little more slowly so that I didn't startle them would help a bit more and there was less chance of me getting bitten when I had to do anything.

It really does depend for me, if the fish fit in the tank and they seem happy in the tank then I will keep them rather than move them to sell them as I feel moving them just for the sake of moving them doesn't do them any favors. I would always look into if there were fish coming with the sale of a tank though and enquire what fish they were before buying the tank so that I didn't run into the issue where I would need to possibly move them and sell them.

If you are a beginner looking for a good saltwater fish to start out with, I have heard that the Fire fish is a great starter fish. They can tolerate a wide range of water conditions which is great when you are a beginning with saltwater, and they are also very active fish which is what I feel most beginners may look for as well. They are also really nice-looking fish as well so perfect for a start out.

I did start out buying my fish from just one store but unfortunately it got to the point where I was getting fish and they were dying without me even knowing the reason behind it. No matter what I did I would lose fish somehow and I felt like it was something I was doing but I feel either the place I was getting them from wasn't telling me that there was something wrong or they just didn't know. I have now started looking around at other places and will probably try other places now for fish that I have heard are really good and that friends have recommended.

Mine without a doubt would have to be the Regal Angelfish. It is such a beautiful angel fish and the colors on it are just amazing and it really is one of those eye-catching fishes that you just love to look at. There are so many angelfish, but most are just not as colorful or as vibrant as the Regal Angelfish.

I guess my saddest memory would be when we had a tank when I used to live at my parents when I was younger. We had a huge standing fish tank in the bay area in front of the window in the home and one morning we woke to find that the tank had cracked and some of the fish got caught in the glass and died. It was so sad to know they went through something so traumatic when they died, and we had no idea. We still to this day do not know how on earth it happened as we made sure everything was secure. We never got a tank like that again for fear of it happening again.

One of the things I always like to know is how my fish are doing in their tank, it's something I would overly worry about it I did not check regularly so I make it a point to do so. I always make sure to check my fish in their tank not only in the morning but also on an evening as well. I feel that is ample enough time that if something were to go wrong, I would pick up on it and be able to hopefully do something about it before anything got too serious.

If you have green water when it comes to an aquarium you will find that the culprit is more than likely algae. This can come from a number of reasons including too much light or sunlight. If you are finding that you keep getting it a lot, you could try moving your aquarium away from any kind of direct light or sunlight and maybe try looking into treating your water to help prevent it.

You probably notice that algae once it starts growing will just sprout and continue to grow rapidly. More so in pools and also in aquariums when they are in the sunlight you will notice it the most. Algae can also grow using other forms of energy such as sugar and even carbon dioxide. It actually is really amazing what you will find helps algae grow and how much you did not know feeds it. I was amazed myself.

That definitely looks like Brown Diatoms, I remember getting this a lot in my tanks and I got super frustrated by it as I would clean it and it would just keep coming back. I ended up looking into it and that was when I found out what it was. I would definitely read the article suggested to you above as that will be a great help at you getting rid and keeping it at bay.