Breeders stock illnesses

• Has anyone noticed that in some stores the breeders appear to be running low on stock on common (and some uncommon) species now? I also notice that there are a ton of fish that seem to be pretty sick or have some type of breeding deformation which seems like it appears that something is happening upstream. Has anyone else noticed this or is it low key just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I’ve noticed since the pandemic that a lot of the common fish stores tend to now have breeders who have more genetic issues, or they are seemingly coming in with more illnesses than before (or normal). I’m not sure if this is due to them having to hold the fish longer and therefore overstocking the tanks before shipment, or if something else is going on.

• I know for most animals, they tend to put strict breeding controls on verified breeders. It might be that they want to cut corners, due to the supply of fish available, when people are less able to go out and seek replacement fish. When breeding stock doesn't rotate, genetic issues tend to creep in, including other health risks, like illness.

• I’ve noticed since the pandemic that a lot of the common fish stores tend to now have breeders who have more genetic issues, or they are seemingly coming in with more illnesses than before (or normal). I’m not sure if this is due to them having to hold the fish longer and therefore overstocking the tanks before shipment, or if something else is going on.

The pandemic of coronavirus did affected everything and not just fishes alone. My friend's new stock didn't look as healthy as they used to be before the pandemic.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!