Do you order parts when a piece goes bad, or get a new unit?

• I just recently had one of my older filters due (I’m assuming something in the motor went bad) and was wondering if you all just buy a new filter (the motor is a part I can take apart and put back together in the filter itself) or replace the part that went bad if you can find it online or through the manufacturer? Obviously this is something that is out of warranty so a claim won’t do anything, and this didn’t have any type of “lifetime” warranty on it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I buy a new filter. I don't trust myself to try to rework a piece and it's just better to know that it's going to work. I don't like to waste time when something is important like a filter and my fish need it. The money sometimes is worth spending for that peace of mind.

• Filters and filtration are an essential part of any machinery or system that involves fluid flow. Whether it's lubrication systems, hydraulic machines, or even water treatment facilities, filters play a vital role in maintaining the quality and performance of the system.

One common question that many users face when dealing with filters and filtration is whether to order replacement parts or replace the entire unit when a piece goes bad. This is a valid concern, especially when considering factors such as cost, downtime, and maintenance requirements.

In my experience, it really depends on the situation. If the faulty part is relatively easy to replace and is not too expensive, then ordering a replacement part is usually the most cost-effective solution. This is particularly true for filters with replaceable cartridges or bags, as these can often be swapped out without much trouble.

However, in some cases, it may be more practical to replace the entire unit. This can be the case if the filter housing or other parts are damaged or severely worn, or if the cost of replacement parts starts to add up.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to order replacement parts or replace the entire unit will depend on a variety of factors, including the type of system, the severity of the issue, and the availability of parts and resources.

What do you think? Do you generally order replacement parts, or do you prefer to replace the entire unit when a piece goes bad? Share your thoughts and experiences below.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!