How does algae always grow?

• You can put tap water in a jug, seal it up, leave it in the sun for two weeks and lo and behold, algae will still grow. Where does it come from?

• Thanks for the thorough answer :) I have no intention to limit the growth however. I have a couple small sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and snails in both tanks that are in there for exactly like; clean up!

• You can put tap water in a jug, seal it up, leave it in the sun for two weeks and lo and behold, algae will still grow. Where does it come from?

It's good that you mentioned sunlight, it's one component that helps algae to grow out of no where but there must be another variable available as well to combine with the sunlight before they can grow and it's the availability of nitrite and phosphate in the water.

• You probably notice that algae once it starts growing will just sprout and continue to grow rapidly. More so in pools and also in aquariums when they are in the sunlight you will notice it the most. Algae can also grow using other forms of energy such as sugar and even carbon dioxide. It actually is really amazing what you will find helps algae grow and how much you did not know feeds it. I was amazed myself.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!