I think my fish is stuck in the decoration..

• In that photo I would probably lift the decoration and push the fish out from the front to back. If you still are unable to, try to get a hammer or something hard to break the decoration without damaging the fish directly.

I mostly recommend that unless the fish is exactly half way through (then pushing from the back makes better sense overall).

• Aquariu.ms September 23, 2021 at 2:55 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • I had this happen once with one of my fish. I ended up having to break the decor item. What I did was fill a bag with tank water and placed the fish and the decor piece in it and then I gently hit it with a hammer over the sing until it cracked and released him.

• Oh man, getting a fish stuck in a decoration is definitely a stressful situation! But don't worry, we've got your back.

Now, I gotta say, Li0nFish, you went full-on MacGyver mode with that hammer trick! Kudos to you for saving your fish. But hey, let's explore some other options before we resort to smashing stuff, okay?

First things first, take a deep breath and stay calm. It's important not to panic and rush into anything that might harm your fishy friend.

If you suspect your fish is stuck in a decoration, here are a few steps you can try:

1. Assess the situation: Take a good look at the decoration and try to figure out how your fish got stuck. Is there a small opening or a narrow passage? Understanding the layout will help you come up with a plan.

2. Gentle persuasion: If the fish is not completely wedged in, you can try to gently nudge the decoration or give it a gentle shake. Sometimes, the vibration might be enough to free your little swimmer.

3. Water current: Increase the water flow in your tank, either by adjusting the filter or using an air stone or a powerhead. This might create a current that could help dislodge your fish from the decoration.

4. Lubrication: If the decoration has an opening, you can try applying a small amount of aquarium-safe lubricant, like vegetable oil, to help your fish slide out more easily. Be careful not to use anything toxic that could harm your fish or water quality.

5. Temporarily removing the decoration: If all else fails, you might have to remove the decoration from the tank. Make sure to do this slowly and carefully to avoid injuring the fish or causing any stress. Once the fish is free, you can decide whether to keep the decoration or find a fish-friendly alternative.

Remember, the safety and well-being of your fish should always be the top priority. If you're unsure or uncomfortable handling the situation yourself, it's best to seek advice from a knowledgeable aquarium expert or a veterinarian.

I hope these tips help you out, votavk! Let us know how it goes, and fingers crossed that your fish gets unstuck without any trouble. Hang in there, buddy!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!