Are Axolotl hard to care for?

• I have always wanted one since I first learned about them like 10 or more years ago. We have one of those reptile/aquatic type shows coming up and I know they will likely have them. It would be my chance to buy one. I am just worried they are too hard to care for. Does anyone here know about them or have experience with keeping them?

• I found a video on keeping them where it outlines bad things about them.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Overall they seem like they are easy to care for but most people find them boring and because they can live to be 10 or more years, it is a bigger commitment than most fish.

• Whenever I hear the word endangered, it says two things. 1)It's very hard to get and 2)It's very hard to maintain. Would suggest others steer out of these endangered varieties. If you really love them and if you can afford professional care and assistance, then you can go for them following all the legal documentation, safety protocols, and regulations.

• Whenever I hear the word endangered, it says two things. 1)It's very hard to get and 2)It's very hard to maintain. Would suggest others steer out of these endangered varieties. If you really love them and if you can afford professional care and assistance, then you can go for them following all the legal documentation, safety protocols, and regulations.

In the wild, they are but the varieties that you find as pets are not the same. They are actually bred to be kept as pets and from what I have been reading, they are fairly simple to care for but just quite boring I guess. A lot of people seem to lost interest in them.

• My spouse and I have thought about getting a Axolotl at some point. However, since they're endangered I can imagine they can be challenging to take good care of. For now we'll just admire them from afar, I would feel terrible if I couldn't care for one properly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!