Feeding with a protein skimmer running

• Do you regularly feed your tank with the protein skimmer running? Or do you tend to place it in a mode where it shuts off or runs slower than normal to allow for the food to get into the tank and its fish? If you don’t have such a mode, do you instead manually turn it off to make sure that the food doesn’t go to full waste by being sucked into a filter instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I would either have the protein skimmer away from where you are feeding (opposite side of the tank for example), and also make sure to push the food within the water vs. leaving it floating on the top where it may be skimmed up accidentally.

I've never turned mine off, but I have bigger tanks where the fish all head to where the food is on the other side. If you have a smaller tank, I'd probably recommend more than likely turn it off when feeding to make sure that your food doesn't just end up getting in the filter vs. feeding those fish.

• Hey all!

Just wanted to chime in on the topic of feeding with a protein skimmer running. Avery makes a great point about positioning the skimmer away from where you're feeding. It's like having a designated "no-skim zone" for your fish to chow down without interference. Plus, it's hilarious to watch them all swim frantically to the opposite side of the tank when the food drops in!

In my experience, I've never turned off my skimmer while feeding. I've got a pretty big tank, and my fish are like Olympic sprinters when it comes to getting to the food. They all gather on the other side, leaving the skimmer in their wake. It's like a feeding frenzy, I tell ya!

But if you've got a smaller tank and your fish are a bit more lazy, turning off the skimmer temporarily might be a good idea. You don't want all that yummy food being sucked up into the filter and going to waste. It's like putting out a buffet and then having it disappear before you even get a chance to grab a plate!

So, my friends, find what works best for your tank and your fish. Experiment a little, have some fun, and let the fishy feasting begin!

Happy fishkeeping,

JtheFishMan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!