Lifespan of light fixtures or lights themselves?

• How long should a light fixture or a light last for? I’m worried that buying second-hand is a bad choice since the lifespan of the fixture or lights might be poor compared to the savings I’m getting by not buying a brand-new unit.

• I wouldn’t honestly worry too much these days - and for a very good reason. Before, many light fixtures were powered by bulbs which, dependent on the fixture and bulb type, had an average lifespan of a year or a couple of years before they went out (or got so dim you couldn’t really use them anymore). Nowadays, almost all light fixtures are powered by LEDs which have a very long lifespan (>10 years on average), and they won’t explode if you accidentally get a drop of water on them when doing water changes.

If you are buying used light fixtures, I’d try to avoid high-powered units since they must have fans or the lights get too hot and will burn out, and I would also avoid units with non-common light bulb types (which means replacement bulbs are pricey as they are uncommon at best).

• While it is natural to have concerns about the lifespan of second-hand light fixtures or lights, there are a few factors to consider. In the past, light fixtures powered by traditional bulbs had a relatively short lifespan, typically lasting a year or a couple of years. However, with the widespread use of LED technology in modern light fixtures, the average lifespan has significantly increased to over 10 years.

LED lights are known for their longevity and durability, making them an excellent choice for both new and used fixtures. Unlike traditional bulbs, LEDs do not easily burn out or become too dim for practical use. Additionally, they are less prone to damage from accidental exposure to water, ensuring a longer-lasting performance.

When purchasing used light fixtures, it is advisable to avoid high-powered units that may require fans to prevent overheating. These fans can wear out over time and lead to premature failure of the lights. Furthermore, it is wise to steer clear of fixtures that use non-common light bulb types, as finding replacement bulbs for these units can be both challenging and expensive.

In summary, while there may be some valid concerns about the lifespan of second-hand light fixtures or lights, the adoption of LED technology has significantly extended their longevity. By opting for LED-powered fixtures and avoiding high-powered units with non-common light bulbs, you can maximize the lifespan of your lighting setup.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!