In-Tank Protein Skimmer Suggestions

• Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for at least two new protein skimmers. I don't run sumps, so I'd prefer them to be in-tank. I'm open to HOB skimmers, but am a bit nervous due to some previous experiences with them leaking saltwater onto my apartment's carpet. And, no, I don't want to add sumps - I understand the benefits, but don't want to deal with it until I'm in a home I own.

I'd like to get a skimmer for my 40 gallon, which just houses my Green Spotted Puffer, and my 55 gallon, which houses a Peacock Mantis Shrimp, 2 Clarkii Clowns, a Yellowtail Damsel, an Azure Damsel, and a 3-stripe damsel. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, but I don't want to bother with something that's going to fail in 6 months, either.

Any suggestions?

• Do you have a specific budget in mind? I’m assuming that you currently run a canister filter since you noted not wanting to run with any HOB filters or HOB-like skimmers, so you'd for sure have to stay with something that can be added as an in-line unit to your canister filter flow. The only reason I ask is that some of the protein skimmers depend on the flow rate of your canister filter to function properly and have enough flow in general.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!