What was your first plant added to your aquarium?

• Since no one has simply started a successful planted setup without adding some plants, what was the first plant that you added to your aquarium? Is it still alive today, or did it not make it through some of the trial and error learning?

In my situation, it was a few years ago, the very first set of plants that I added to my 5.5 gallon was java fern and some Anubias (I can't recall the variety sadly). I remember watching them grow and thinking that it was the coolest thing ever, plus my Betta and a few other fish LOVED these plants and at night I would see the Betta resting on the leaves (or inside of the plant hiding away peacefully). It's kind of crazy how adding something so simple can not only change the fish tank in terms of looks, but it can add a ton of benefits (water quality gets improved, fish can have somewhere else to hide, etc.) to your aquarium without that much care.

Ever since that moment, I've always kept various plants inside of my setups ranging from Amazon Swords, Corkscrew and Jungle Vallisneria, different types of mosses, Banana Plant, and more. If you have never tried keeping plants inside of your aquarium, I HIGHLY recommend trying a few low light plants out - you'll never go back!

• As a beginner and wanting something simple to start out with, my first plant was the Java Moss. This was recommended to me by the guy at my local store as being the one that I would find the easiest being that it was my very first plant and I had only had fake plants prior to that until I decided to go to real.

• I remember when I first started my aquarium, I was so excited to add my first plant! The plant that I chose was a Java Fern, which I had heard was a great beginner plant. I was amazed at how quickly it started to grow and fill out the tank. Since then, I have tried many different plants, but the Java Fern will always hold a special place in my heart.

So, what was your first plant added to your aquarium? Did it thrive or struggle? Did it spark your love for planted tanks or were you already a plant enthusiast? Share your experiences and let's inspire each other to continue growing and learning in this hobby!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!