Petco 50% Off Sale (formerly Dollar Per Gallon Sale)

• As a small heads up - there are a bunch of reports internally that they are replacing the 50% sale, to become now a 30% sale across the board due to loss on revenue. Once I can confirm or deny this, I will update the thread and post an additional reply with the facts.

• Sadly, I can confirm that the 50% off sale is no longer (at least for the upcoming few events they have listed out). It is replaced by the 30% off sale on these tanks. I have updated the event details on here to reflect that, as well as note that the current event has been ongoing since January 9th, 2022 (we weren't tracking it because it was below the 50% threshold).

• I was ironically going to reply to here regarding them changing it at least in my market. I was hoping it isn’t a permanent change but guessing by the new marketing changing online even I sadly think it’s going to be this way going forward from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I was ironically going to reply to here regarding them changing it at least in my market. I was hoping it isn’t a permanent change but guessing by the new marketing changing online even I sadly think it’s going to be this way going forward from now on.

As you said, only time will tell, however with them moving from $1/gal to 50% off the retail price, and now 30% off the retail price, I think that this move is permanent in order to save costs from inflation overall.

• What is even stranger is that Petco’s social media team seems to still be talking about it as if it’s 50% off, so not sure if the 30% was some type of one time test or an off sale but labeled as such?

Also to update there is a new confirmed event starting February 27th (the ad is placed on March 1st, so might start then instead going forward) for the whole month of March 2022.

• Aquariu.ms March 10, 2022 at 5:25 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Petco Dollar Per Gallon Sale” to “Petco 50% Off Sale (formerly Dollar Per Gallon Sale)”.
  • Keeping up with the past 2 years now, the event has always ended around March/April, and started again on July. Therefore we predict the same, with it stating the first week of July and ironically ending the last week of July.

• I wonder if they are going to do more of these flash sales you noted compared to keeping the cadence of the event sales next.

Possibly, it definitely is interesting to see them try out various marketing aspects when it comes to this sale (30% vs. 50%, 50% vs. $1/gal) and then trying to have it renamed to other aspects.

• Looks like they are mixing it up again, I missed on my radar the 20% off tank sale on anything bigger than 40 gallon breeder tanks (I'll start to focus on these more often since they seem to be running a 20-30% off sale on specific tanks in-between the 50% off sales).

• Makes you wonder if they are going to increase the sizes offered since they have also expanded outside of just the Aqueon tanks now.

I’m sure they will, especially as you noted that they offered far more than just open tanks for this sale (included other different tank shapes and sizes).

I’m also super curious what will happen to the consistency of this sale as inflation rises (will we expect 50% off to become the common 20% off they have been randomly doing?).

• It appears that Petco had a very small Labor Day weekend sale that matched the 50% off we normally see - since we aren't used to them traditionally having sales on holiday weekends/days, it was missed (but has been added to the past event tracker sheet for reference).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!