Is Superglue safe?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I think it depends, I’ve seen a handful of aquarium/aquatic safe superglue, but the issue becomes when you use normal superglue it actually will just dissolves over time in the water in chunks. I’d be super careful on what type of superglue are that point, and just use silicone since it dries clear and has the same adhesive aspect that superglue has but is aquarium and aquatic life save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Avery January 27, 2022 at 3:01 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • Gilbert took the answer right from my mouth - it really depends on if you got the aquatic/aquarium safe superglue or not, otherwise I’d avoid it since it won’t work and head towards using silicone (aquatic/aquarium safe must be checked as well).

• I think it depends, I’ve seen a handful of aquarium/aquatic safe superglue, but the issue becomes when you use normal superglue it actually will just dissolves over time in the water in chunks. I’d be super careful on what type of superglue are that point, and just use silicone since it dries clear and has the same adhesive aspect that superglue has but is aquarium and aquatic life save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that point because it seems to have answered the question correctly on this subject. A friend of mine actually have a similar problem with his aquarium, so I would be recommending this to him.

• One of my friend recently used Superglue to fix a broken plastic ornament and it seemed to be fine. So is it really safe to use Superglue?

It's just like the same thing with making use of hot gum or glue. It's never going to last long and it would melt. It's better to make use of Silicone.

• I would be very wary of using super glue in a tank if I am honest, it just seems like one of those glues that would be really toxic and would cause harm to my fish so wouldn't take the risk. Silicone is something I would lean more towards for anything like that as I know it's a lot safer than say super glue and I wouldn't have that worry of it making the water toxic and making my fish unwell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!