Size of the tank for algae health

• We used to have a fish aquarium when I was young then had one as an adult. I was wondering what is everybody's tank size? Do you follow the rule of thumb to have 1 gallon of water per inch of fish? How was the health of your fish following that rule as far as the buildup of algae was concerned?

• ZandraJoi March 17, 2022 at 10:15 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Size of the tank” to “Size of the tank for algae health”.
  • I currently have a 40 gallon breeder turtle tank that has some fish inside of it, along with a 15 gallon column tank. I'm about to start working on either a 75 gallon tank or possibly a ~100-120 gallon tank that is more wide for my turtle once I move, but buying all of the equipment needed now and most especially working on the driftwood basking area that I have for the bigger tank size.

Algae is always an issue, and when it comes to my turtle tank, a big issue as there is additional lighting for the turtle that just promotes the growth of it all over the driftwood and glass walls. I've either manually cleaned it with a rough sponge, or in some cases I let the Malaysian Trumpet snails do the rest of the work in areas that I can't see (like the driftwood, or in spots that I just can't get due to how the tank is against a wall).

• I currently have a 40 gallon breeder turtle tank that has some fish inside of it, along with a 15 gallon column tank. I'm about to start working on either a 75 gallon tank or possibly a ~100-120 gallon tank that is more wide for my turtle once I move, but buying all of the equipment needed now and most especially working on the driftwood basking area that I have for the bigger tank size.

Algae is always an issue, and when it comes to my turtle tank, a big issue as there is additional lighting for the turtle that just promotes the growth of it all over the driftwood and glass walls. I've either manually cleaned it with a rough sponge, or in some cases I let the Malaysian Trumpet snails do the rest of the work in areas that I can't see (like the driftwood, or in spots that I just can't get due to how the tank is against a wall).

Dealing with algae is a very big challenge especially when your tank size is bigger. My uncle keeps working on how to prevent sunlight from entering the tank. He's even got to move his own twice but that never helped 100%.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!