Signs of Overfeeding

• Fishes usually consume their food within 2 to 3 mins. If the food remains even after 5 mins of feeding and the fishes show no interest in the food or sometimes fungal growth is seen around uneaten food or decorations; the water in the aquarium turns cloudy with a foul odor; if the filter media gets clogged very often; excessive algae growth; and higher levels of ammonia or nitrite. These are the signs of overfeeding and it has to be addressed as soon as possible.

• I agree that any uneaten food could be marked as a sign of not eating, although the biggest sign would be any type of bloat problems with any fish, or they are growing rather larger in terms of width compared to overall size. I'd say to slowly drop in enough food so that you can watch each fish get a few pieces, since their stomachs are only the size of their eyeballs in many species (it is far easier to overfeed fish than it is to underfeed).

• When I was a kid I was guilty of overfeeding the fish. My concern was always for the little ones who weren't as aggressive as our big angel fish and I wanted everyone to be happy in the tank. But I soon learned how messy all that food at the bottom left things. The little fish will find the food so my concerns weren't valid.

• One thing I learned myself when I would help look after the fish with my parents when I was at home is that you can and may in the beginning accidentally over feed your fish. One noticeable problem that will arise if you do over feed your fish is the change of color of the water and if it gives a funky smell. That is a sign that too much food was placed in, and the fish did not eat it either because it was too much or because they were just not eating it. I found that looking online for advice on how much to feed specific fish per day helped me prevent from over feeding and keep the water clean and frsh for longer.

• laurent.ba Thanks for sharing this information. Overfeeding can cause a lot of problems for our little fishy friends. It's important to pay attention to the signs and adjust our feeding accordingly.

Shortie I totally agree with you. It's easy to accidentally overfeed our fish, especially when we're just starting out. Doing a little research beforehand can definitely help prevent this from happening.

Just remember, guys: a little goes a long way when it comes to feeding our fish. Don't be afraid to start small and adjust as needed. Happy feeding! 🐟🍲

• I remember over feeding my friend's fish when I was a kid. I didn't really know when to stop, his parents should have kept an eye out on me. I recall seeing excess food floating around in the water. :S I can't be too harsh on myself though, as I was a kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!