Top Fin 10 Gallon African Dwarf Frog Tank

• Since my children have hit summer break, one of the teachers had a few of these and other fish species that they were trying to give away to the parents. I decided I'd take some of these frogs, and put them into a more ideal tank setup that only has them as a species and check if I can get some of them to breed.

Detailed Information

Tank: Top Fin 10 Gallon

Filter: Top Fin 10 Gallon Adjustable Filter HOB (set to middle setting)

Lighting: Stock (Top Fin Gallon LED fixture)

Substrate: Fluval Plant Stratum

Flora: Anubias Congesis (3x), Amazon Swords (2x)

Fauna: African Dwarf Frog (8x), Mystery Snail (2x)

• Right now I plan on keeping them as a species-only tank since ideally, I'm looking to have them breed out.

I’m not too worried about them jumping since the water parameters are good, and the lid I have on this mostly covers the whole tank but a gap in the back between the heater and filter output.

• How are thinkings going with your tank?

This looks similar to how I had my shrimp tank set up when I had them in a 10-gallon. I still have the same amazon sword plant too. I just have it in the smaller tank now in a pot. I have had to cut it down a few times, especially after an issue with black beard but it held on.

• How are thinkings going with your tank?

This looks similar to how I had my shrimp tank set up when I had them in a 10-gallon. I still have the same amazon sword plant too. I just have it in the smaller tank now in a pot. I have had to cut it down a few times, especially after an issue with black beard but it held on.

They are going well! I actually have had them mate a few times, but due to the lack of plants I have on the surface of the water, the eggs didn't hatch (or did hatch, but got sucked into the filter). I'm working on adding a pre-filter sponge to the intake, along with getting more plants to be at the surface of the water to protect the eggs.

• They are going well! I actually have had them mate a few times, but due to the lack of plants I have on the surface of the water, the eggs didn't hatch (or did hatch, but got sucked into the filter). I'm working on adding a pre-filter sponge to the intake, along with getting more plants to be at the surface of the water to protect the eggs.

How fast do they multiply?

• How fast do they multiply?

It really depends on how many males and females you have. I regularly see the males clamping against the females (and sometimes they do this to males), but their real issue is that their eggs will float and look like food. Once they drop the frogs either tend to eat them, or they get sucked in the filter intake which kills them. You really need floating pieces of plants to provide the hiding spots so the tadpoles can swim and have a filter turned pretty much all of the way down.

• I took out the Amazon sword from this tank since it was getting way too large. Additionally, I just noticed my filter died (or was dying) since the GPH flow was extremely slow and caused a huge bacterial bloom. Just replaced the whole filter unit with a bigger one (rated for 20 gallons with adjustable flow). Once this bacterial bloom goes away I’ll take some updated photos to show, as I have a nice green algae growing on parts of the fake tree root which has a very nice appeal.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!