Paddletail newt - what fish can be kept with them?

• I had one years ago and loved her. She was playful and fun to watch. I decided to introduce some fish to her space to liven it up and it ended up making her sick. I removed the fish and cleaned everything for her, but it was already too late. She slowly died over the course of a month. I felt terrible. I have wanted to get another one since losing her. I see so many people keep them with fish but I am not sure it is a good idea.

• Newts are rough to have tank mates since they are either slow or tend to be super sensitive to other species around them. I’d honestly just have them as a species-only tank since they are unique enough to keep without other dither fish to keep them moving around to view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Newts are rough to have tank mates since they are either slow or tend to be super sensitive to other species around them. I’d honestly just have them as a species-only tank since they are unique enough to keep without other dither fish to keep them moving around to view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems to be what most people recommend. I know some do keep them with fish but they seem to do best on their own. I wish I had known this prior to doing that. I still have not been able to find one.

• Hey there fellow amphibian enthusiasts!

I just wanted to chime in on the topic of keeping fish with paddletail newts. Now, I gotta tell you, these little guys are not the most sociable creatures when it comes to sharing their space. They're more like the "leave me alone, I'm chilling" type.

But hey, don't fret! You can still create an awesome aquatic setup for your paddletail newts. Just make sure to choose tank mates that won't bother or stress them out. Small, peaceful fish like guppies or endlers could work, as long as you provide plenty of hiding spots for your newts to escape to when they need some alone time.

Remember, it's all about finding the right balance in your tank. Happy paddletail newting!

Cheers,

cy.paul

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!