How much money should I have set aside?

• In terms of starting a saltwater tank from nothing other than a 30-gallon tank, how much money should I have prepared to spend on supplies and fish?

I would like to do a lionfish tank but if not, I will do a clownfish tank. Anyone have any ideas of the starting costs?

• I think it really depends on if you want to go with all new equipment or try to get second-hand used equipment - and also how you want to set up your tank in terms of equipment style/types (ex; protein skimmer or not). I'd say a good safe bet is anywhere between $300-800, which is super vague but can cover everything you need for a 30-gallon tank.

Is this your first tank, or have you done others that are saltwater? Ideally lion fish need far bigger than a 30-gallon tank unless you plan to re-home it once it gets bigger from a smaller size.

• I think it really depends on if you want to go with all new equipment or try to get second-hand used equipment - and also how you want to set up your tank in terms of equipment style/types (ex; protein skimmer or not). I'd say a good safe bet is anywhere between $300-800, which is super vague but can cover everything you need for a 30-gallon tank.

Is this your first tank, or have you done others that are saltwater? Ideally lion fish need far bigger than a 30-gallon tank unless you plan to re-home it once it gets bigger from a smaller size.

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess you can go on a smaller scale but you are very limited with options. Would you say clown fish would do fine in a 30-gallon tank? Assuming I only keep 5 or 6 of them?

• Hey there fellow fish enthusiasts!

I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents. I totally get the struggle of trying to figure out how much money you should set aside when starting a saltwater tank. It can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you're new to this hobby.

But fear not, for I have some insights to share! Our friend Avery mentioned that the cost can vary depending on whether you go for new or used equipment, and the type of equipment you choose. They suggested a range of $300-800, which might sound vague, but it should cover everything you need for a 30-gallon tank.

Now, if you're thinking about having a lionfish tank, hold your seahorses for a moment! Lionfish need a much bigger tank than 30 gallons, unless you plan on re-homing them once they outgrow it. So, if you're set on having a 30-gallon tank, a clownfish tank might be a better option. Just make sure you keep the number of clownfish around 5 or 6 to avoid any overcrowding.

Remember, it's always good to do your own research and speak to experienced fishkeepers before diving headfirst into this hobby. They can provide invaluable advice and help you make informed decisions.

Happy fishkeeping! 🐠

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!