Posts by Li0nFish

I think it really depends on what you have going down that drain, and how frequently it is used. I'm sure, like anything that has to handle water, algae can form and grow over time. A perfect example of this would be a shower, which can form brown algae when not cleaned over a very long time period (and green algae if exposed to sunlight).

It is used daily for the washing machine as well as washing general items.

I am just trying to figure out how to get rid of it. I believe the finish has worn down on the sink which allowed the algae to seep into the pores and grow.

I usually keep things simple.

I will use some sort of natural smooth stone on the bottom and then incorporate live plants. I have since placed my life plants in clay pots and fine this works best for me. I also like to stack larger rocks in the corner of the tank to make a hiding place for the shrimp and fish.

Plenty of people do - it's the whole premise for “hydroponic systems” that take waste (from fish) and will use it as plant food since their waste is high in many nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I didn't consider this but I did look into it when I first read your message a week or so ago and I am mind blown. A lot of people grow herbs and such indoors with systems where the plants receive food and also clean the water. Neat!

I have always wanted one since I first learned about them like 10 or more years ago. We have one of those reptile/aquatic type shows coming up and I know they will likely have them. It would be my chance to buy one. I am just worried they are too hard to care for. Does anyone here know about them or have experience with keeping them?

To be fair, it's nothing that you may be doing, but rather than poor genetics when it comes to guppies and other super popular freshwater aquarium fish. Dropsy is normally just a term for when a fish has liquid collecting inside of its abdomen when it shouldn't (and hence its bloated, scales that are spike-like).

Oh okay. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure it out. I lost another one since posting. It was very bloated. I read that some will overeat which leads to this but I have no way of controlling how much each fish eats since they all eat together. I feed them once a day.

Fry typically grow really fast but it depends on the type of fish.

What type of fish are you wishing to sell? I have fancy guppies and they grow quite fast but most people believe they should be fully grown before selling.

I am working on setting up a shrimp tank myself. Looking at all my plant options and trying to get things going. I want to make it perfect so it encourages them to mate. What size tank are you considering?

Like most algae, they just feed off of any excess nutrients in the water that are leftover from food, waste, and other things within the tank. You probably cured it for now by changing out everything with a different substrate and using the planted dirt tank method. Hopefully it doesn’t return on you!

Still under control as of now. I believe the soil was the biggest issue. I also have a magnetic scrubber I use once a week on the glass to get the light algae off the glass.

Goldfish are messy and require a lot more care than they tend to let on at pet shops. I have had a few and I have never been able to keep them healthy. I had one that actually got ich and killed everything else in my tank either by eating or through the fish getting ich from him. He ended up living for months by himself in a tank before he died.

What types of coral would you recommend for someone who is brand new to keeping a saltwater tank?

I was looking at all different types and some will say beginner-friendly on one site and advanced on another so I don't really know what to go by.

I want to get a small koi pond when the wife and I buy a house. We have been in the process since 2020 and well, you know how that year went. Everything has been setback after setback and house prices got too high in 2021 so we put it off. We are going to start looking again after the summer and I will be excited to work on my next project; a koi pond!