What causes Dropsy in guppies?

• I have a tank with shrimp and fancy guppies. I have had them for a while now since they keep breeding and bringing the numbers back up but I have lost several to dropsy and I can't figure out what is causing it. Does anyone know what the main cause of this is in fancy guppies?

• To be fair, it's nothing that you may be doing, but rather than poor genetics when it comes to guppies and other super popular freshwater aquarium fish. Dropsy is normally just a term for when a fish has liquid collecting inside of its abdomen when it shouldn't (and hence its bloated, scales that are spike-like).

• To be fair, it's nothing that you may be doing, but rather than poor genetics when it comes to guppies and other super popular freshwater aquarium fish. Dropsy is normally just a term for when a fish has liquid collecting inside of its abdomen when it shouldn't (and hence its bloated, scales that are spike-like).

Oh okay. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure it out. I lost another one since posting. It was very bloated. I read that some will overeat which leads to this but I have no way of controlling how much each fish eats since they all eat together. I feed them once a day.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!