Driftwood growing fuzzy algae on it

Looking for a way to get rid of that algae, identify it, or figure out what would eat it off? We'll get you back on the right track to removing the cause of those excess nutrients.
v_danger_v

Driftwood growing fuzzy algae on it

Post by v_danger_v » September 8th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Is this normal for there to a white/grey fuzzy algae to grow on a piece of driftwood after you place it into an aquarium? I’ve tried to rub it off, but it seems to come back after a few days and I’m not too sure what the cause of this is. Nothing water parameters changed, and it seems like this algae (or whatever it is) is not spreading to other objects or in the glass in my aquarium.

IMG_1580.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Avery
Administrators

Post by Avery » September 8th, 2019, 11:03 pm

Although it may appear as algae or mold, it actually is a growth that is present when new wood is added to an aquarium, and can get rather large fast if there is any tree sap on the piece of wood. If given time, it will clear up on it's own - or if there are fish in the aquarium, they might eat it since it's a small snack for them. I wouldn't too much since it goes away on it's own, but if you really dislike it, you can boil the wood more in order to prevent (or reduce this) from happening when the next piece of wood is added into the aquarium.

v_danger_v

Post by v_danger_v » September 20th, 2019, 12:43 am

Looks like it is already clearing up, strange I could have sworn that I did boil it for a little bit so shocked that this appeared. Thank you a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk