Fish is swirling around, doesn't look like swim bladder

Having any fauna that is sick, ill, or doesn't look too well can bring down others and the look of ay
aquarium. We'll make sure that you have the healthiest livestock no matter what.
zexavrj1kc

Fish is swirling around, doesn't look like swim bladder

Post by zexavrj1kc » January 23rd, 2020, 4:37 pm

I'm not sure what type of disease that this is, but I have a molly that appears to be swimming around uncontrollably. I originally thought it was swim bladder, but after treating for it with deshelled peas, it hasn't increased much and the fish kind of swims like a tornado way. Is there any other type of disease, infection, etc. that this could be? And will it spread to other fish? I currently have the male molly inside of a breeder box in my main tank while I try to figure this out.

Thank you everyone!

by Avery » February 2nd, 2020, 9:04 pm
If it's not swim bladder, have you seen any other symptoms that could show it being anything else?

Normally if they show no other symptoms (not sunken in belly, no bent spines, nothing that appears to be worms around the anus, etc.), but appear almost lifeless when it comes to them being able to control how the move through the water - it's normally just the end of the life for the given fish. Many will claim that this is "wasting disease", however that is an internal parasite that will cause the same type of effect (but the fish will have a sunken in belly).

If you haven't already, try to separate out the fish even more into it's own tank (if you have one) and see if any other fish are starting to get symptoms similar to this (since if they are, it's more than likely is actual wasting disease).
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 22

Post by Avery » February 2nd, 2020, 9:04 pm

If it's not swim bladder, have you seen any other symptoms that could show it being anything else?

Normally if they show no other symptoms (not sunken in belly, no bent spines, nothing that appears to be worms around the anus, etc.), but appear almost lifeless when it comes to them being able to control how the move through the water - it's normally just the end of the life for the given fish. Many will claim that this is "wasting disease", however that is an internal parasite that will cause the same type of effect (but the fish will have a sunken in belly).

If you haven't already, try to separate out the fish even more into it's own tank (if you have one) and see if any other fish are starting to get symptoms similar to this (since if they are, it's more than likely is actual wasting disease).

zexavrj1kc

Post by zexavrj1kc » February 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Yeah the fish doesn't really have any sunken belly, worm, or anything else specifically wrong with it. Would I be able to see any of the parasite since the fish died a few days ago but I have it in a bag still ready to go return it at the store. Thanks!