how easy are ghost shrimp?

The best community can sometimes be the one that mostly sticks to the bottom, or isn't seen when
compared to the vast movement of the livestock swimming in the water column.
lddrizcb

how easy are ghost shrimp?

Post by lddrizcb » August 9th, 2019, 1:40 am

Can Ghost shrimp get along with other fish and shrimp? How easy are they to take care of? I saw a ton in my fish store, but they seemed to be all different sizes and there wasn't anything on the label that said how long they live or how big they can get.

Avery
Administrators

Post by Avery » August 10th, 2019, 12:12 am

I would almost say that Ghost Shrimp are the easiest shrimp to take care of from a beginner setup and from learning how to handle shrimp in general. They can be found at almost all aquarium stores, are extremely cheap (since most use them as feeders to bigger fish), and live for about 1 year on average. Their unique appearance allows you to see what they have eaten recently, and their natural of being a scavenger keeps your bottom substrate clean from any debris or dead fish.

The only downside to them is that due to them being mostly sold as a feeder shrimp, many don't handle water parameter swings and can die extremely easy (especially if put into an uncycled tank). On average they only get a few inches big, and can reproduce in freshwater (although unlike other shrimp, their larva are free swimming and normally end up being eaten or sucked into a filter).