Do you use timers for your lights or do you turn them on/off manually?

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Do you use timers for your lights or do you turn them on/off manually?

Post by Avery » July 6th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Although having any animal on a regular schedule that matches up with the real world (or even just your schedule) is always a good thing, it can be pretty hard depending on what their requirements are. Most aquatic animals that are kept as pets are often required to be dependent on their owner for them to know when their "natural" cycle of day and night is, however this brings into play a really good question. Do you have the lights turn on/off automatically through a timer or do you do it all manually?

I always have my larger aquariums have automatic on/off lights, however for some of the smaller ones (such as breeding tanks, etc.). I use do it manually. I tend to do this since it lets them come out more frequently, and gets them adjusted to any possible fake weather conditions that may happen. Plus, with the bigger fish in the tanks it lets them get to use to the chance of bigger fish created the shadows throughout the tank and various decorations.

Empire

Post by Empire » July 14th, 2019, 7:34 am

When I was away and staying at an friends house they had two fish tanks and they had no timmer on it at all and so had to do it by hand. Didn't need to do at at the same time every day but when we can put the light on

oscard316

Post by oscard316 » August 23rd, 2019, 4:17 pm

I turn mine on/off right before I leave for work, and then turn them right before I go to sleep. I know it's more than like 12 hours needed per day, but they fish don't seem to mind and got used to it gladly enough.