How to prevent fish from trying to jump out?

Want to know what species that fish is, or the best care for your given community? Providing the best care for your fish can result in them looking absolutely stunning with vivid colors, and being able to observe their natural behavior.
v_danger_v
Answers: 3

How to prevent fish from trying to jump out?

Post by v_danger_v » July 13th, 2019, 1:35 am

I rarely hear or have fish jump out, but I’m always super curious on how people can have no lids or glass tops and the fish never try to jump out of the water. Every time I’m doing a water change I always have to keep an eye out since I have had one or two fish try to jump out (but never actually jump out of the tank). Is there anything special that they are doing to prevent this, or is it just due to the aquarium layout, or is there a hidden thin net that prevents them from trying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Avery » July 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm
A majority of fish will either jump out of the tank when they have the chance due to the three following conditions;

1) The water parameters are not to their specific liking (this can be either due to incorrect pH, water hardness, or there is too much ammonia/nitrites/nitrates).
2) The fish is commonly known to be a jumper (so think of rainbow sharks or red tail sharks) as they come from fast streams, so it's built in for them to jump from one area of water to another.
3) The fish get scared and jump to avoid being possibly eaten (or so they think), it's more of a self defensive type of reaction to something either coming close super fast, or due to a loud noise.

Those with no lids or hoods on their tank, mostly either have some sort of floating plants, or make sure that they put the tank(s) in areas that are quiet, won't have fast shadows appear, and they approach the tank slowly.
Go to full post

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » July 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm

A majority of fish will either jump out of the tank when they have the chance due to the three following conditions;

1) The water parameters are not to their specific liking (this can be either due to incorrect pH, water hardness, or there is too much ammonia/nitrites/nitrates).
2) The fish is commonly known to be a jumper (so think of rainbow sharks or red tail sharks) as they come from fast streams, so it's built in for them to jump from one area of water to another.
3) The fish get scared and jump to avoid being possibly eaten (or so they think), it's more of a self defensive type of reaction to something either coming close super fast, or due to a loud noise.

Those with no lids or hoods on their tank, mostly either have some sort of floating plants, or make sure that they put the tank(s) in areas that are quiet, won't have fast shadows appear, and they approach the tank slowly.

Juneberry

Post by Juneberry » July 26th, 2019, 10:37 am

I never heard of fish jumping out, but they did often swim closer to the tank's top when they saw my hand with food about to come to them. Were they trying to jump out from the small open area I made when I'd feed them?

Lammchen

Post by Lammchen » July 27th, 2019, 8:32 am

In my intro here I wrote how when I was little my job every morning was to get up and count the fish because we had jumpers. The algae eaters were the worst criminals and they were creepy to find on the floor. We'd grab the net, toss them back in and they usually survived the ordeal.

Our lid had a small opening in one section and they usually found their way to this section and I never really knew why. Maybe they thought the nasty carpeting looked more appetizing?