What made you choose a freshwater tank?

General discussion of freshwater aquariums that are not related to any of the forums below.
Juneberry

What made you choose a freshwater tank?

Post by Juneberry » July 26th, 2019, 10:33 am

I'm not a person who has an aquarium or the right space for one, but I do have great curiosity about those that have them... And what I'm curious about here is just what I noted in the title! How did you decide you wanted a freshwater tank? Was it a certain breed of fish you wanted to have, something about the water, or something unrelated all together?

Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish » July 26th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Well, I was into goldfish when I first started. In that case, that would have dictated my choice of freshwater. Nonetheless, though, I was a kid. It was a long time ago - and even then, I probably also wanted some saltwater stuff - but due to the goldfish's popularity, I went with that.

Avery
Administrators
Answers: 20

Post by Avery » July 29th, 2019, 1:21 am

A primary reason that a freshwater tank was just due to the overall low cost, the fact that you can have an almost low to no maintenance setup if done right (low light, plants, driftwood or rocks, and fertilizers). Plus, it’s way easier to get into freshwater cost wise than it is with saltwater (which has a high start up cost and a general high cost in terms of fish and corals, etc.).

I think I’ve done more with freshwater tanks than saltwater also due to the fact that there are tons of more fish that are easier to raise, take care of, and even breed (a majority of cichlids, livebearers, and some egg layers). It lets people get into the hobby faster without having the hugeness upfront cost compared to other hobbies (or more advanced aspect of freshwater such as Discus, stingrays, etc.).

v_danger_v
Answers: 3

Post by v_danger_v » July 31st, 2019, 2:50 am

Easy to get into fish tanks, plus almost all of the freshwater fish are super cheap. You can buy shrimp for a quarter, or even a majority of fish on sale for a dollar at some big chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk