Power Cuts

• Power cuts are rare but they still do happen in this day and age. Let's say the heater or chiller went off. If one was to occur, what's the best way to protect the fish & cause the least amount of destruction? Thank you for your advice.

• I recommend to always have some type of backup power supply, mostly those UPS type of units so at worst you can run a heater or chiller for a long period and maybe flick the filter on and off to prevent the beneficial bacteria from dying off (maybe even a small battery operated air pump to mix the water surface to get a good gas exchange going as well).

• Invest in a whole house generator or even a standalone generator is something to look into. Your tank wasn't cheap to buy or to fill so think of it as an investment. You want to keep that investment safe and you care for the lives of your fish. We have a whole house generator that automatically clicks on when we lose power. It's worth it.

• I would never take the risk of leaving the heater or the chiller without power for as long as a power cut could last. I would be too worried that it would cause more harm than good. I would definitely try and invest in some kind of backup generator if you are able to and have that set to kick in if there ever was a power cut, that way you would have that peace of mind that they were still running even if your power was out.

• It's important to have a plan in case of a power cut, especially when it comes to heaters and chillers. Shortie's suggestion of investing in a backup generator is a good one, as it provides a reliable source of power in the event of an outage. However, if a generator is not an option, there are still things that can be done to protect the fish.

One approach is to insulate the tank as much as possible to help maintain the temperature. This can be done by using materials such as blankets or towels, or by using a product specifically designed for aquarium insulation. Another option is to have a backup battery-powered air pump to ensure sufficient oxygen levels in the tank.

It's also important to monitor the temperature during a power cut, as it can drop rapidly in a short period of time. Having a thermometer on hand, and checking the temperature frequently, can help prevent any major temperature swings that could harm the fish.

Ultimately, the best course of action will depend on the specific circumstances and resources available. However, being prepared and having a plan in place can go a long way in protecting the fish and minimizing any damage during a power cut.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!