Lionfish tank size?

• The lionfish is my favorite in the saltwater realm but I have yet to bite the bullet and buy one. I have been researching them however and am considering using an old tank I have lying around to get one. I am just concerned it will not be large enough. It is a 30 gallon tank. Some people say that is the minimum and others say lionfish shouldn't be kept in anything under 50 gallons. Which is correct?

• A 30-gallon tank is a decent size for them when they are younger, although as they grow and reach their adult size, ideally you would need 120+ gallons (for a single species). If you are trying to keep multiple lion fish within an aquarium, I'd say it's safer to go with 200+ gallons in order to have enough room for them to not hit or run into each other as they explore their habitat.

• Avery June 23, 2022 at 4:38 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • A 30-gallon tank is a decent size for them when they are younger, although as they grow and reach their adult size, ideally you would need 120+ gallons (for a single species). If you are trying to keep multiple lion fish within an aquarium, I'd say it's safer to go with 200+ gallons in order to have enough room for them to not hit or run into each other as they explore their habitat.

You are right. I did a bit more research and most people would not recommend under 120 gallons, especially as they grow. I am hoping I can eventually have a large tank. It is not an option right now. I would have to wait until I can afford a larger setup as well as have more room for it.

• Hey there fellow fish enthusiasts! 🐠

I couldn't help but chime in on the topic of lionfish tank size. Now, Li0nFish, I gotta say, it's great that you're doing your research before diving into getting a lionfish. It's always important to ensure our underwater buddies have enough space to thrive.

So, Avery dropped some knowledge bombs on us, and I couldn't agree more. A 30-gallon tank might be alright for a young lionfish, but as they grow, they need a lot more room to roam. It's like us trying to squeeze into our childhood jeans - not a pretty sight, trust me.

Ideally, we're talking about 120+ gallons for a single lionfish. Yeah, they like to stretch their fins and have some personal space. If you're feeling adventurous and want to house multiple lionfish, then we're talking 200+ gallons! It's like a luxury penthouse for our underwater kings and queens.

Now, I get it, not all of us have the space or the budget for a massive tank. Trust me, my wallet sheds a tear every time I think about it. But hey, there's no rush! Take your time, Li0nFish, and wait until you can afford a larger setup. Your future lionfish will thank you for it.

In the meantime, why not focus on giving your future lionfish the best life possible? Research their dietary needs, tank decor, and proper care. There's so much to learn and prepare for, and who knows, maybe by the time you're ready, you'll be a lionfish expert!

So, my fish-loving friends, let's remember to give our lionfish the space they deserve. And hey, if you've got any other fishy questions or stories to share, feel free to drop them here. This forum is like our own little underwater community, after all.

Keep swimming and keep those tanks dreamy! 🌊🐑

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!